When I ask people "What do you value in life?" I usually end up with blank stare and a shrug. People are so out of touch with what they really want in life, and it tremendously affects their behavior, motivation and drive. If you don't have goals to reach a valued aspect of life, what's the point?
When a person figures out they value being rich, status, spirituality, leisure time, time with their loved ones, health, vacations, gardening, athletics or whatever ticks their tock they will be able to set achievable goals. Detailed goals, on getting more of what someone values, and then fulfilling the goals will get you that time to buy a nicer watch, go on a speaker circuit tour, start a successful business, read and finish a book, lay out by the pool, more time in the sack, better food options, Tahiti, and or a blossoming tomato plant. Thinking and even talking about the things you want (value) is not enough. Once the things you value manifest you are more inclined to be a better partner, parent, friend and or employee. Knowing the difference between what you want or need will lead you to understand what you value.
Below are three language challenges that will stop Peak Performance
- Needs are only necessities. Needs are air, food, water, shelter, sleep, elimination and sunlight. Everything else is a want or a don't want. Instead of thinking you "need" everything or "need" to do everything, wanting and willing yourself to do things will help you accomplish your responsibilities with ease and fortitude. "Needling" yourself about things you want or want to do confuses the subconscious process (the driver of your behavior) and will actually derail you from following through and getting things done.
- When you start to change your language and stop using indecisive language such as probably, maybe, okay without meaning it, someday, perhaps, should, could, when, if, but, I'll think about it and start using "I will" your life and business practices will change.
- Saying "I feel like" or "I feel that" followed by a thought. Feelings are adjectives. When you say "I feel", in proper English it is followed by a feeling, not a thought.
The most important way to increase productivity, stay focused, get the most out of employees, increase revenue and feel a calmness to your business is to change the language therefore changing the behavior.
Below are steps to take to have an organized working environment
- Know as a Business Owner, CEO, Administrator or Employee what you truly value in life. Make a list of the top 5 things you value in life.
- Write down goals to fulfill the thing you value
- Under the goals write three (3) specific, behavioral ways you will accomplish your goals
- Start the process by following through on fulfilling the goals
- Practice the behaviors that helped you reach your goals regularly
Values - Spending time with family and friends, Leisure time, Health, Writing Blog articles, Publishing a book, Exercise
Spending time with family and friends
- Calling, texting or emailing until I reach friends and family and set up scheduled events two times per month
- talk on the phone regularly and catch up monthly
- plan vacations to have leisure time with family and or friends (also will go under goal for leisure time) two times per year
- Walk on Beach (also will go under exercise and health) 3 x per week
- Plan vacations with loved ones two times per year
- Read and finish books every weekend
- Walk on Beach 3 x per week
- Eat only things that are nutritious 6 days per week
- Take Supplements and Vitamins daily
Writing blog articles
- Contemplate subjects that will be innovative and encouraging to others 1 x per week
- Write entire blog article and post 1 x per week on website
- Post blog article on Facebook and Linkedin
Publishing a book
- Edit Book thoroughly by December 15th
- Choose a Professional Editor by December 31st
- Publish Book by March 15th
- Go to Gym 3 x per week
- Walk on Beach 3 x per week
- Stretch daily
Call for a free 30 minute phone consultation to get your self and space organized.
Call 949-709-7000 and Get Organized Now. www.i-deal-lifestyle.com
Marla Stone earned a BA in Psychology and a Master's Degree in Social Work and is the founder of I-Deal-Lifestyle, a Self and Space Organization Service.