Closet Organization by Marla Stone
How do you organize a closet so that it can be best utilized for your stuff? Closets are tricky since you want to take all your closets and storage into account prior to organizing them. You do not want to do one closet at a time, since like items are best kept together. Also you want the items you use the most in the most accessible closet all together.
Closet Organizing Tips
1. Take everything out of your closets and storage except the clothing, and take a look at what you own.
2. Create 5 areas for sorting. Keep, Throw, Give, Donate and Miscellaneous ( the I'm not sure area).
3. Once everything is sorted and you realize what you are going to keep, give the stuff you are parting with a goodbye party (meaning you disperse it accordingly).
4. Next you take a look at your closet and storage space.
5. Now you are ready to take the items you use most often and put them in the most convenient spot. Work on putting similar items together i.e. all dog supplies together, all your luggage etc... That will make it easier to find your pet supplies or luggage when you want them. The items you use the least will go into the storage area that is the least accessible.
6. Fitting items in closets and storage so they are easily accessible, look great and fit like a puzzle.
7. Once all non-clothing items are put into the closets, sort through your clothing using the same 5 area method, Keep, Throw, Give, Donate and Miscellaneous. If your clothing is draped and stuffed into the closet, and you would want to remove them, in order to get to non-clothing items, sort through your clothing first. Take the clothes you are keeping, and put them back into closet prior to your non-clothes items. Clothes you wear the most and for the season we are in now (Autumn), make most accessible. If you do not have room for all the clothes you are keeping in your bedroom closet, put summer and spring clothes in a guest room closet. Keep Autumn and Winter in your bedroom. After arranging your clothing, then proceed with organizing non-clothing items.
8. Kick back and enjoy your organized closets, some extra space, and the ease of finding what you want when you want it.
Marla Stone is a Professional Organizer and Lifestyle Coach. Your home deserves to be beautiful now!
Call for a free 30 Minute Consultation! 949-709-7000.
Here you will find an array of blog articles about decluttering your home, life and how to improve your business strategy
Marla is known as the Declutter Your Strategy™ expert. Marla earned her BA in Psychology and a Master's in Social Work and is the founder of