Summer is here! We are so lucky living in Orange County, California with the weather averaging 76-85 degrees year round. And Californians love summer. We know that Summer is distinctly its very own season and most people's favorite and fun filled time of year. So what will you do ton have a great and organized Summer Season? Well it depends on what you want to accomplish the rest of this summer.
Some people move in Summer, some people go on vacation and some people just chill out by their pool. Other people have family reunions while many have weddings and family celebrations to go to. Summer is so fun and can be so exciting if you plan out the rest of your time.
My suggestion as a Professional Organizer would be to look at what you truly value in life. f you value having company, but there is too much clutter, you won't have that opportunity to entertain. If you value vacationing but you didn't pay your taxes and you are worried about money, that will put a dent in all vacationing plans. So I suggest preparing a plan of goals based on what you value most in life. A plan starts with GOALS.
If your goal is to move, then you would write down a heading of MOVE, but the sub goals would be:
1. Find A Home to Buy or Lease. (easier said than done with the high prices and low inventory, but contact a local realtor for assistance).
2. Find a Professional Organizer, Family Member and or Friend to help pack and prepare schedule for moving.
3. Start Packing NOW, since it can be cumbersome and overwhelming if you wait until the last minute. Items to be packed would be the items you will not want or need prior to moving. Winter, spring, fall clothing, much of the bedding/towels, kitchenware and knick knacks can be packed NOW for a Summer move. You can pack in phases or all at once and have it ready to go. Using a Professional Organizer can make moving quick and easy without a lot of stress. Professional Organizers will pack you by category making it easy to unpack when you get to the new home. They will also assist in unpacking you and setting up your home in an organized manner.
4. Find a Professional Organizer, Family Member and or Friend to help unpack. Having a Professional Organizer who specializes in Feng Shui is a plus when the movers are bringing in the furniture. A Feng Shui and Decor specialist will organize the movers and tell them where the furniture will go for the best placement and to increase Harmony and Prosperity. The placement of furniture in your new home will mean great success or negative patterns. Having help will support and prepare your home long term and for years to come.
5. Spring and Winter items can remain packed, if there is limited space, and will be available when you want them, while keeping boxes available for your Summer and Fall items to be stored.
Having a rotating seasonal wardrobe storage system is a good idea for limited space and for keeping precious real estate free in your home.
Recently I had two clients who did not hire a Professional Organizer / Decorator / Feng Shui Specialist when the movers moved in the furniture, and their bed was placed in the death direction which means there head is facing West. For most people, depending on their birth date, time and place, in the Western World, when your head is facing west, while you sleep, it is very bad Feng Shui and considered deadly. Much of the furniture was also plopped down by the movers without much thought at all and most had to be be re-arranged for good CHI (energy) to kick up its heels and move around. Having someone with a design, Feng Shui and Organizing background is optimal when moving into a new space and will save you time, energy and money later.
Don't wait to book flights and rooms until later, you will pay the big bucks. Making a lot of money is not everyone's world now, and spending less and being cautious of overspending is a good idea. How you spend money is a spiritual thing. It is called THE law of economy. A good example of The Law of Economy is if you are going to order a large cup of coffee just because it "seems" better and you only drink what would have been the amount in a small or medium, you are wasting your money!
Wasting money is the opposite of being spiritually aware. I think the whole world is starting to notice this factor now, but some people still trail behind with poor spending practices.
If you are going to just chill out by your pool I think that is a great idea. Save some money, live it up in your beautiful home and Barbecue, go to the beach, take hikes and just CHILL for the rest of your summer.
I think staying home and having quiet time and a restful, peaceful and economically sound Summer is being a winner. Getting your business and home organized over the Summer can be a fabulous project and you will feel uber organized and accomplished.
Marla Stone, Professional Organizer, Lifestyle Coach, Feng Shui and Decor Specialists
Marla is known as the organizing clutter remedyTm expert. Marla earned her BA in Psychology and a Master's in Social Work and is the founder of